October 3rd 2009


  Buy Issue 2813
Qty:

Articles from this issue:

COVER STORY: Government push for sell-off of Telstra's infrastructure

CANBERRA OBSERVED: Union warning on China free trade agreement

EDITORIAL: Re-opening the case of the Balibo Five

WAR ON TERROR: The deadly peril still very much in our midst

NATIONAL AFFAIRS: Misguided move for women in combat roles

ECONOMY: Development bank now urgently needed

TASMANIA: Can the Apple Isle become Australia's food bowl

GLOBAL FINANCIAL CRISIS: Policy-makers still refusing to face reality

REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH: Rudd Government ignores abortion link to maternal deaths

POPULATION: Solving the world food problem

The man who fed the developing world

OPINION: No apology after latest outburst from PM Rudd

Deplorable standards (letter)

Melting pot (letter)

Safer nuclear energy option (letter)

Obama changes tune on troops (letter)

CINEMA: Award-winning film about slain journalists - Balibo (rated M)

CINEMA: Deliver us from this left-liberal 'moralising' - The Soloist (rated M)

BOOK REVIEW: THE PLAN: Twelve Months to Renew Britain, by Douglas Carswell and Daniel Hannan

BOOK REVIEW: INSIDE THE STALIN ARCHIVES: Discovering the New Russia, by Jonathan Brent

Books promotion page

survey link

FONT SIZE:

EDITORIAL:
Re-opening the case of the Balibo Five


by Peter Westmore

News Weekly, October 3, 2009
The Australian Federal Police (AFP) inquiry into the deaths of five Australian-based journalists at Balibo in East Timor in 1975 will not bring their killers to justice, and will merely prolong the anguish of the journalists' families by raising unrealistic expectations that those responsible will be brought to justice.
Oscar Isaac as José Ramos Horta (left),
with Anthony LaPaglia as Roger East.

There is strong evidence, given to a NSW coronial inquiry into the deaths in 2007, that they were deliberately killed during a military incursion; but both the present democratically-elected Indonesian government and its predecessors have refused to co-operate in assisting to bring those responsible to justice.

The Indonesian position is the same in regard to the huge number of deaths of East Timorese people - probably between 100,000 and 200,000 - which occurred during the 24 years of Indonesian occupation from late 1975 to 1999.

The East Timorese government has accepted this fact, and refuses to consider re-opening the cases of East Timorese killed during the Indonesian occupation. East Timor's President José Ramos Horta said recently that Timorese must forgive Indonesians who "committed heinous crimes against us".

In 2007, the NSW Coroner conducted an inquest into the deaths of the five journalists, and took public evidence from Australian, Indonesian and East Timorese witnesses, as well as from the families of the journalists.

The 132-page report showed that there was strong circumstantial evidence that the journalists were killed on October 16, 1975, as a result of the deliberate policy of the Indonesian Government to disguise its involvement in the occupation of East Timor.

The report added, "Prior to going to Balibo, each team of journalists had been warned that they were heading into a risky and unstable situation from which neither the Australian Government nor Fretilin [which then controlled East Timor] would be able to protect or rescue them.

"They were told personally of the experience of the ABC journalists who left Balibo hurriedly on 11 October because they had come under fire. In particular, they were aware of Tony Maniaty's opinion that the ABC team had been targeted by the Indonesians because they were journalists. ...

"On the basis of the evidence before me, the journalists themselves bear the responsibility for being alone in Balibo at the time the Indonesian and Partisan military forces entered."

The coroner called for a national industry-wide safety code of practice for journalists to be developed in conjunction with, and endorsed by, Australia's media organisations, to assist journalists to recognise when they enter dangerous situations.

Investigation

In November 2007, the NSW Coroner requested the federal Attorney-General to initiate an investigation into the killings, because of a possible breach of the Commonwealth Criminal Code.

The federal Attorney-General referred the matter to the Australian Federal Police (AFP) in January last year, and about 18 months later the AFP commenced their investigation.

In their media statement, the AFP highlighted the difficulty of pursuing the matter. Their statement said, "The investigation of war crime allegations can be problematic where witnesses and evidence are located offshore, or where a significant period of time has elapsed since the commission of the offence.

"If the investigation reveals sufficient material to compile a brief of evidence of criminality or a real possibility of criminality, then the AFP will refer that information to the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions (CDPP). It is then a matter for the CDPP to consider, in accordance with the Prosecution Policy of the Commonwealth.

"The standard of proof in a criminal proceeding is high, and differs from that of a coronial inquiry."

In light of the refusal of Indonesian authorities to co-operate in this investigation, as in every other similar case, there is no prospect of extradition to Australia and prosecution of those responsible for the journalists' deaths.

Despite our differences, Australia (like East Timor) must work with Indonesia on issues of mutual concern, including anti-terrorism co-operation, the interception of illegal boat-people off Western Australia, oil and gas exploration in the Timor Sea, the safe transit of Australia's mineral exports to north Asia, and airline flights to Asia and Europe.

There are powerful figures in Indonesia who want to murder Australians, as happened in the Bali and Jakarta bombings, and to wage war on Australia. We rely on the democratically-elected Indonesian government, and its security and military forces, to keep these forces in check.

While Australia must uphold the principles which underpin our own society, of which freedom of speech and the rule of law are crucial, attacks on the Indonesian Government will rebound on Australia, and unwittingly play into the hands of the extremists.

Peter Westmore is national president of the National Civic Council.




























Join email list

Join e-newsletter list


Your cart has 0 items



Subscribe to NewsWeekly

Research Papers



Trending articles

NATIONAL AFFAIRS Cardinal rebuts commission's 'Get Pell' campaign

COVER STORY Anti-discrimination law validates Safe Schools

U.S. AFFAIRS First Brexit, now Trump: it's the economy, stupid!

INDUSTRY AND ENVIRONMENT Wikileaks reveals U.S, funding behind anti-coal campaign

COVER STORY QUT discrimination case exposes Human Rights Commission failings

FOREIGN AFFAIRS How the left whitewashed Fidel Castro

ANALYSIS What is possible to a Trump Whitehouse



News and views from around the world

19-year-old homeschooled pro-lifer wins Ontario election by landslide (Lianne Laurence)

Trump makes right choice for education secretary (National Review)

Transgender conformity (Katherine Kersten)

Sex education programs do not reduce teen pregnancy or STI rates (Philippa Taylor)

Photographer who captured Safe Schools founder harassing bystander shuts down business (Frank Chung)

Is the global middle class here to stay? (Samuel Rines)

Donald Trump could end America's new feudalism (Joel Kotkin)

It just got easier to find the perpetrators of Stalin's purges (David Filipov)

Castro's death eradicate bacillus of old-style Marxism (Gerald Warner)

Labor MP Terri Butler in QUT race case apology (Geoff Chambers)



























© Copyright NewsWeekly.com.au 2011
Last Modified:
December 2, 2016, 2:36 pm